This roof cleaning article was written by my friend, and fellow Roof Cleaning Institute Of America member Pat Motz
You ask your self why should I spend money cleaning my roof? Well there are several reasons you should do this.
The most obvious reason is for curb appeal. Your home is a big investment and you will want to show off that home. You are proud of all your hard work that it took to get that home and if you have the best curb appeal on the block. You can dramatically increase the bid prices if you are attempting to sell your home. The prospective buyer will not think that the roof needs to be replaced. They will think WOW that looks like a new roof and will probably not even ask about the age of the roof.
We all know from our school days that light colors reflect heat and dark colors absorb heat. Well that still holds true. What is the color of the algae growing on your roof? Oh yea, it’s black or dark brown and it is absorbing heat. When it does this the temperature in your attic can rise dramatically. As you know proper attic cooling is essential to keeping your home cool. A rise in the attic temperature is going to require that your air conditioning unit run longer and more often to maintain a comfortable temperature. This over use can lead to a premature air conditioning unit failure.
More and more insruance companies are requiring that you have your roof cleaned. This is because of SBS or Sick Building Syndrome in which there is mold discovered on the interior of the building. If you decide not to have your home cleaned then they may drop your coverage and this may also prevent you from getting a new carrier.
You have a buffet on your roof for these organisms to thrive. The shingles that are produced today have crushed limestone embedded into the asphalt (not the granules you see on top). These shingles hold moisture and organic "bacteria food" material longer than the shingles of 20 years ago. Additionally, these particular algae enjoy the limestone as a food source. Experts within the subject area conclude the bacteria to be harmful, if left untreated, as the growth holds moisture within shingles causing premature aging, rotting, and/or granule loss.
Once the algae/bacteria appear and become noticeable, the problem spreads quickly year after year if left untreated.
For more information you can visit our web site at www.TheCleaningDoc.com